Friday, April 16, 2010

I'm shipping up to Raleigh!

While many of my blogger friends are "shipping up to Boston" this weekend, I'll be heading out in a few minutes to Raleigh from the Gainesville airport with Jenny to visit a few of our friends for the weekend. Another song comes to mind; an old Bob Dylan song I believe recently covered by Against Me! that goes something like this, "picking me a bouquet of dogwood flowers and I'm a hopin' for Raleigh..."

Anyways, I'm excited to get out of Florida for a few days and away from the real estate business, which has been driving me nuts the past few weeks. Tomorrow we have a 13-miler on tap first thing in the morning. According to a combination of Google Earth and Mapmyrun.com it looks like we'll be able to run from the house we're staying at through the countryside to the Harris County Lake Park where there's miles of trails with our names written all over them. I'm hoping for some hills myself. I'll probably carry along the camera so expect a full recap with pictures sometime later next week after I get back!

I'll also be tuning into the Universal Sports channel Monday morning to watch the Boston Marathon. Best of luck to all you bloggers either spectating or racing/running!

Surfing..... oh man, I'm getting antsy. We've had about two weeks of onshore winds and the few windows of opportunities early in the morning with light and variable winds I've missed because of work. I've heard there's been some "going off" moments on the inside of the rocks. Now that I'm leaving town, I'm sure it'll be epic. I fully intend to hit it hard next week!

Seattle Training Report:
I'm feeling really strong. I've logged 12 miles so far this week without the weekly long run and I'm having to remind myself to take it easy and slow down. Looking back at my training log from last year it's becoming apparent that I had no idea what heck I was doing. I still feel like I'm super new and still a novice, but at least I feel like I'm more wise and smart enough not to overdo it again. Time will tell as I'm about to enter the realm of injury territory where my body will tell me yea or nay for higher mileage weeks. Hopefully, this time with less surfing, softball, tennis and other oddities in the picture an injury such as Mr. Achilles won't repeat itself.

AHA Fundraising Report:
So super stoked to have busted our goal this week. Honestly, I feel like I should have made a harder/higher goal. I had no idea we'd receive SO MUCH support without begging for it. Last I checked we busted $1,300 to support American Heart Association. Running the Seattle Rock n Roll Marathon is going to mean so much to Jenny and I and I can't begin to thank everyone that has shown support!

Happy Weekend to All and catch you on the flip side! Keep the stoke!

5 comments:

  1. Have a great trip, sounds like fun. My husband and I want to take a trip to Raleigh to check it out. We've heard it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, have a great weekend in Raleigh:) When you get back and go surfing, I would love to see more pictures:)

    Nice work on your training for Seattle:) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, it's been awhile since I caught up on your adventures... but when is the Seattle marathon? I live here and I haven't heard.

    So out of the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long time lurker, first time commenter. I'm not familiar with the Against Me! version, but that Dylan song is actually a hybrid. Dylan wrote the chorus for a movie and Old Crow Medicine Show wrote the verses (including the Raleigh part you referenced.) Apparently one of the contestants on American Idol sang it this year.

    More from the always reliable wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon_Wheel_(song)

    Oh, and have fun in Raleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete