Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Two lessons learned (Long run recap)

12.5 Mile long run down.... a heck of a lot more to go until Seattle Marathon! Last weekends long run with Jenny was fun, but I learned two important lessons.

1.) Don't eat a LOT of one food type (in my case asparagus) the night before a long run.

2.) Don't attempt to go to work where you are going to have to be standing and walking for hours immediately after a long run.

I'm just going to throw it out there. We made Naan bread pizza with asparagus, pesto, cheese and chicken the night before the run. Yup, if you read Runner's World the recipe is in the current issue. I can report that if you haven't made it do it! It's amazing. I ate it off my plate like a starving African kid. It tasted so damn good. Hmmmm.... I think I might just make it again tonight. It's fast, simple and easy. Only problem is with my stomach not being used to large amounts of asparagus it didn't take kindly to me bouncing around on a long run for 2 hours! Yeah... TallGuySurfing had some GI issues on Saturday. But, not to worry. I didn't let it ruin the fun. We had a great time.

Started out about 45 minutes before dawn and made it to the beach just as the sun was breaching the horizon. We held a steady slow pace and stopped for water twice. The air temperature was perfect at about 65 degrees. I carried my camera and took a few pictures.

After reaching the 12.5 mark Jenny continued on for another couple miles (we're trying to merge our training schedules together piece by piece) and I got ready for work. By the time I got out of the shower Jenny had made an amazing omelet for me, which I immediately engulfed! Here's where the second lesson comes into play. I had an open house to conduct at 10 a.m. for a couple hours and then a showing immediately after so I was on my feet for 3 hours after the long run. By the time I got back to the house and met up with Jenny my legs were torched! We decided to just chill out and eat a glorious lunch on the couch with our legs elevated and...... and...... and have a wonderful glass of wine!


Tonight I decided the perfect cure for a bad day (computer crashed... the kind of crash the involves smoke coming out of it) at work would be to charge a high rise bridge. This is actually something I try to do quite regularly, but have been slacking off the past month. So hills it was and 3 miles for 6 repeats. Here's a picture I took a few weeks ago of the only "hill" in town moments before dawn.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I want to run where you get to run!! Thank you so much for posting those beautiful pictures:) I love the one of you and Jenny drinking the wine!! You two are such an adorable couple:) BTW: I know all about GI issues:) They are the worst!! Live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the long run despite the G.I. issues. Long runs are all about the education of what NOT to do. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe review, I was on the fence about trying it when I saw it in RW. Sounds like I'll have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete