Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ocho Miles for Cinco De Mayo

Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo, a holiday that confuses me in that it seems like Americans celebrate it more than Mexicans. Heck, the real Mexican independence day isn't even in May. Whatever the case, it seemed like a good day for a run. I woke up extra early and promptly fell back asleep. By the time I got up the sun was already up and the heat and humidity was quickly getting to summer-like levels.

I hit the road with an 8-miler routed, one GU and my iPod. It was already 80 degrees. The first few miles went fine and I felt strong. I hit my first water stop and forced myself to drink a good amount of fluid whether I felt like I needed it or not. By the second water stop, somewhere around mile 5, I was fully involved. Fully involved, with sweat that is...

I like it hot and I'm proud to say that I usually do well in extremely hot conditions. For some reason this year I seem to be having a hard time acclimating to the heat. Our weather here in Florida is in full summer conditions. In the past few weeks the humidity levels have gone from in the 70 and 80 percent levels to reaching close to 90 percent. This makes it feel 5 to 10 degrees hotter than it really is and really sucks the hydration right out of you!

By mile 6 I had a decision to make. I'm within .4 miles to my house. I can call it a day, admit defeat, go home and go to work. Or, I can continue on through a golf course neighborhood loop and add 2 more miles making my scheduled distance of 8 miles. There just happens to be a convenience store in front of me. "Screw it, I'm going to go buy an electrolyte drink, slam it and see how I feel," I tell myself.

As I check out the selection I notice a drink I've never seen before. It's called Gatorade RECOVER 03 and is in a funky shaped bottle. I think I saw the word "recover" and was sold on the spot. It was a little pricey at $2.99, but given my current condition well worth it.

I attempt to slam it down just outside the store, but can't because it's thick tasting almost more like a shake. A little shocked, I now look at the label to discover it's actually a protein shake. Apparently Gatorade has taken their standard sports drink with plenty of sodium and potassium and added milk product to give it protein. Wow! I drank half and started to run the remaining two miles carrying the bottle like a carry along. It fit well in my hand. With 1-mile to go I drank the rest. It was even foaming from being shaken up just like a protein shake would. It says for after workout, but I'll admit it allowed me to go the extra mile, or two miles in my case and finish my run in temperatures close to 90 degrees and super high humidity.

Thanks Gatorade and Go Gators!

3 comments:

  1. Cinco de Mayo, second only to St. Patricks Day in alcohol sales...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to finish the run. Sounds tough down there in FL already!

    I saw this new drink at a store the other day, but didn't look at it long enough to realize it's a shake. Very interesting. Thanks for the review! Have a great weekend!

    (oh, and we'll happily buy some of your grapefruits from you next year if you're willing to ship 'em!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete