Thursday, June 25, 2009

It all started with a 1-legged surfer

Today has been so random! I decided to sleep in my board shorts last night so I could have a few extra minutes of sleep before an early morning session at the inlet (made the decision to surf instead of run just before bed due to forecasting).

As I'm about to paddle out I look down the beach and there's a short guy probably around my age walking with a slight shuffle/limp about him carrying a surfboard. I look down toward his leg and notice it's not a leg but a metal stick with a fake foot. Yes, he was wearing a prosthetic leg and he's going surfing! How freaking awesome is that! So for all you nay-sayers out there that think they can't surf this guy is walking proof that if he can surf with only one leg you can surf with both your legs!















We didn't get his name, but he said he has been surfing for about 6 or 7 years. Props to you 1-legged surfer dude! I'm still amazed thinking about how hard it would be to surf without one of my legs!









By the way, the surf wasn't all that great this morning. I found myself wishing for my shortboard to surf the inside, but was stuck with the 9'0" paddling back and forth from the mushy outside to the crowds of the inside where I was shot some dirty looks from the shortboarders, which I find absolutely hilarious. I decided to shoot some photos while waiting for JB and Allison to finish their sessions and before having to go to work. Here are a few, one of which is a girl that gets the two thumbs down award of the day. I understand that girls have to be a little more aggressive when surfing in a wolfpack in order to get some waves, but my God this chick was all over the place with a loud mouth that needed a sock or something else in it to shut her up! Bet she never knew she was having her picture taken. I guess respect comes with age.
















Random encounters at the beach for the day - Check

A short time later I'm at work and receive word that an lowball offer that a customer made yesterday on a foreclosure has been accepted! You may ask how is that random? It's a rare day that offers get accepted on first try so yes, that is random!

Then I receive word that we are one step closer to closing a land deal I have going on some personal property that if closes, will enable me to reduce my debt enough to move to Puerto Rico for the winter to surf and learn Spanish (but that's another blog).

Then I get a call from a friend that wants to set me up with another friend's super hot daughter (not sure how I feel about this, but I'll take what I can get at this point, haha). But before I even go there I've got a fun packed date weekend ahead of me starting tomorrow (no work on Friday woohoo) with a super fun nurse friend that just happens to surf!

Yes, it's a pretty good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment