Saturday, December 5, 2009

...So give a Cheer for the Orange and Blue...


In case you don't already know, I'm a huge Gator fan. I have absolutely no idea nor comprehension of what it would be like not being a "Gator." I was born into it, love it and wouldn't consider anything else even if the University of Florida football team had a losing record. Of course, they don't and in case you've been living in a cave in Afghanistan they are far from a losing record. As of this morning they are undefeated and what's even more impressive is they are the defending National Champions and still undefeated this late in the season. So today I'm writing about Gator football. I just can't help it!

One of my earliest memories involves Gator football. It was November 8, 1980 and I was 3-years-old (go ahead figure out that TallGuySurfing is quite old) and all I remember is my father screaming at the television. It was one of those "gigantor" early color televisions that seemed to be swallowed up in a cabinet twice the size of the actual screen. I remember being concerned why my father was so upset and him trying to explain to me that the Gators had just lost to The University of Georgia Bulldogs 26-21, thanks to Herschel Walker's freshmen year as a Dawg. This early memory not only instilled in me a healthy rival-related hatred for the Georgia Bulldogs, the biggest rivalry of the Gators (we really don't regard FSU as a rivalry game like the media wants to hype it up) and a deeply embedded loyalty to the Gators. When it came time for me to apply for college I only filled out one application and that's where I went to school. I never considered another school. I marched in the band at all the games home and away and also played in the basketball band.

So now that I've told my story and made it sound completely impossible to write in an unbiased and objective manor I'm going to tell you about today!

Today is the SEC Championship Game (again in case you've been living in an Afghan cave). It's Alabama vs. Florida. What's unique about today is it's also the first time in the history of NCAA football that an undefeated No. 1 ranked team is playing an undefeated No. 2 ranked team for a conference championship. This usually happens for the National Championship, but not this year. This year it's today. Obviously, I'm for Florida, but win or lose, at the end of the day I'm going to be ok. Here's why. One name.... Tim Tebow. Now if you're still in that cave and haven't heard of Tim Tebow lets just say he's been pretty dang successful as a college quarterback. He's been involved in two national championships and has been a finalist twice for the Heisman Trophy, winning it once and may have another shot at the award this year. He's absolutely smashed just about every record a quarterback can do and then some. He's surpassed Herschel Walker's record for most rushing touchdowns in a college career. By the way, Walker was a running back and Tebow is a Quarterback! (Although I'll be fair and admit that Walker did it faster and in less games).

Even if the Gators lose today I'll still be Proud to be a Florida Gator! I'm proud because I can honestly say that Tebow is the best college football player I've ever witnessed play the sport and how completely awesome is it that he's a Gator?!? Not only is he an amazing athletic, but his leadership skills are out of this world. I can also honestly say that if he were the quarterback for another team, let's say Georgia (remember I hate Georgia), I still couldn't help but love the man for who he is and the good he represents. He's probably one of the best athlete roll models I've ever seen. He's a deeply religious man and if you're a Gator you can't help by have Faith and Believe in him and the Gators. He's surrounded by elite athletes whom some of which have followed him from their high school days. It's living proof that great people will follow great leaders. Watching him play football this year has been unbelievable. It's an exciting time in college football and I'm sure today will be one of the highlights of the season. Both these teams know each other well. Last year Alabama was ranked number one and undefeated. Florida marched into the Georgia Dome in Atlanta and unleashed hell upon the Crimson Tide. Late in the fourth quarter Tebow led two scoring drives to take the lead and hand Alabama their first loss. It's No. 1 against No. 2 in more ways than one. No. 1 offense against No. 2 offense. No. 1 defense against No. 2 defense and the list goes on and on.

No matter who wins I believe in Tim Tebow and the Florida Gators. He's made me into a Believer! Go Gators!

1 comment: